Mexican Hot Chocolate and Pie Crust Cookies
This Mexican hot chocolate with pie crust cookies is the perfect warm dessert for a cold night! It’s easy to make and so delicious!
I know a lot of families have awesome holiday recipes that have been passed down through the generations, but I don’t really have any of those. I’m trying to develop some of my own, so that one day my great grandchildren will look at a recipe card with my handwriting and get all sentimental. Here’s hoping! One of my favorite new holiday traditions is making this delicious Mexican hot chocolate. It tastes just like Christmas to me! I like that it’s mild and not overly sweet, but still has an intricate combination of flavors.
This hot chocolate is also fantastic for dipping various baked goods in, but I think I like it best with these cinnamon-sugar pie crust cookies. They’re delicate and just lightly sweetened, and totally tasty. They’re so simple and delicious, and my kids love helping me make them. This combo is going to be making frequent appearances at our house during the holiday season! Be sure to check back in tomorrow, when twelve awesome bloggers will be sharing their favorite holiday foods in honor of the 12 Days of Christmas!
Mexican Hot ChocolatePrint Recipe
- 1 tablet Abuelita or Ibarra brand chocolate find it in the Mexican section of your grocery store; I also found a big box at Costco recently. If all else fails, find it on Amazon.
- 4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Using a sharp knife, chop the chocolate into small chunks. Whisk together all ingredients in a small saucepan, and heat over medium heat while whisking frequently until chocolate has melted and the mixture is well blended. Pour into mugs and enjoy!
Pie Crust CookiesPrint Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 stick butter cold, cut into smaller pieces
- 8 ounces cream cheese cold, cut into smaller pieces
cinnamon sugar topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350. In the bowl of a food processor or a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Using the food processor or a pastry blender, blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cream cheese and pulse until dispersed throughout. Dump mixture onto a baking mat or clean countertop, and press into a round disc. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick, and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Combine ingredients for sugar topping, then sprinkle over cut out shapes. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
What a perfect Christmas nosh while watching an old movie! I really like Mexican hot chocolate, and I've been thinking myself about making some "pie crust cookies" only I just thought about cinnamon sugar strips. I LOVE the way you cut them into cookies stars. Yummy!
Oh man. My mouth is literally watering for some Mexican Hot Chocolate! This looks DIVINE! And your cookies are gorgeous!
Okay so these beyond amazing… just saying!
Ohmygosh, I wish I could eat this RIGHT NOW! I might have to try this, this weekend!
Yum! I'm off coffee whilst I'm feeding the baby, this is the perfect alternative. Can't wait to try it, thank you 🙂
HI! from your newest follower, this looks awesome, I will give it a try when my boys are home over the holidays!! anne