These chewy and sweet chocolate-covered caramels are simple and quick to make, and totally delicious! They’re perfect for gifting!
Even with all my reluctance towards sweets lately (seriously… what’s up with that?) I never get sick of caramel. I could eat my body weight in caramel and still want more! I try to limit myself to only making caramels once a year, at Christmas, but when I do make them, they’re spectacular! This year I decided to go all out and add a chocolate drizzle over the top, and it was definitely the way to go! These chocolate-covered caramels are soft and buttery while still firm enough to hold their shape, and the chocolate just adds a little sweetness and charm. I’m planning to give these out as gifts to my neighbors, and I’m guessing we’ll be the most popular family on the block. 🙂
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that the caramel is pretty foolproof. You don’t even need a candy thermometer! You’ll know it’s done when it gets to be a rich amber color and has thickened. These caramels are a little lighter than I usually make them, so they’re not quite as firm as they should be, but they’re delicious either way. I think they’re best stored in the fridge and eaten cold. I’m trying to convince myself that I don’t need to make another batch before Christmas, but it appears to be a losing battle…
Easy Soft CaramelsPrint Recipe
- 1 cup butter cut into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 14 ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Prepare a 9 x 9 baking dish by lining with foil, and spraying liberally with cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat until butter is melted, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium high, until the mixture comes to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring constantly, until caramel has turned a rich amber color and thickened slightly. Pour into prepared pan and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- To make the chocolate drizzle, I just used candy melts (available at Michael’s, Joann, even Walmart) and melted about 1/4 cup in a microwave safe bowl. I put the melted chocolate into a ziploc bag, snipped a small piece off the corner, drizzled the chocolate over the caramels, and then returned them to the fridge to harden.