Halloween Funfetti Cupcakes
These Halloween funfetti cupcakes are so colorful and fun, and so easy to make! They’re a delightful Halloween dessert!
How cute are these cupcakes? These Halloween funfetti cupcakes are kind of like the adorable kid sister to those spooky Halloween cupcakes I shared last week. There’s something super fun about funfetti cupcakes… I’ve loved them since I was a child. I always requested funfetti for my birthday cake, because sprinkles just make everything better. They’re even more fun for Halloween!
To make these Halloween funfetti cupcakes, I started with my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe, and made it even better by swapping out the milk for sour cream. I’ve decided that sour cream is totally the way to go in baked goods. I absolutely love the texture, richness, and moisture it adds! Once the cupcakes were baked, I whipped up a light and fluffy buttercream to go on top. I divided it into three bowls and added some yellow and orange food coloring to two of the bowls. And from there I just piled the frosting high on the cupcakes. These cupcakes definitely have a little more frosting than I usually add, but I love the candy corn effect, so pile it on!
Halloween Funfetti CupcakesPrint Recipe
for the cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup Halloween sprinkles
for the frosting:
- 4 ounces 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3.5 ounces 1/2 tub marshmallow cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 – 2 tablespoons half and half or heavy cream
- orange and yellow food coloring
- additional sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line 12 wells of a muffin tin with paper liners. In a large bowl or a the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until well blended and smooth. Fold in the sprinkles using a spatula. Fill paper liners 2/3 full and bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for a few minutes and then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter and marshmallow cream together until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add half and half as needed to make a frosting that is smooth and easy to pipe. Divide the frosting into three bowls and add orange food coloring to one and yellow to another. Pipe the yellow frosting onto the cooled cupcakes, then layer the orange frosting, and top with the white frosting. Add sprinkles and enjoy!