Spooky Halloween Cupcakes
These spooky Halloween cupcakes are so fun to make, and so rich and chocolatey! They’re a delicious Halloween dessert!
Yay! It’s the first Halloween recipe of the season! I’m a little late getting on the Halloween band wagon this year, but it’s hard to think about fall and Halloween when it’s 80+ degrees out every day. Anyway, I saw these cute Peeps and bone sprinkles at Target a few days ago, and knew I had to make these spooky Halloween cupcakes happen. I love that they’re super easy to make but still impressive and cute!
I know I have a “perfect” chocolate cupcake recipe on the blog, but I have to say… I like these chocolate cupcakes even better! I’ve posted them before in some different forms (chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes, bee cupcakes) and they are consistently the best chocolate cupcakes I’ve ever made. They’re always moist and tender, without falling apart. They can stand up to a good amount of frosting and have the perfect rich chocolate flavor. They are simply the best!
This was my first time adapting my favorite marshmallow frosting to make a chocolate version, and it was fantastic! These cupcakes are pretty much just perfect and cute to boot!
Spooky Halloween CupcakesPrint Recipe
for the cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 4 ounces cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
for the frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3.5 ounces marshmallow cream
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons half and half or heavy cream
- 12 tombstone shaped Peeps marshmallows
- 24 bone candies I found mine at Target
- 5 Oreo cookies crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line 12 wells of a muffin tin with paper liners. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the sugar, flour, cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the greek yogurt and vanilla, and mix well. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling wells 1/2 – 2/3 full. Bake 15 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter and marshmallow cream until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla, and beat until light and fluffy. Add additional powdered sugar or half and half as needed to make a smooth, pipeable frosting. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with Peeps marshmallows and bone candies. Sprinkle with crushed Oreos. To help the marshmallows stand up a little better, I added a toothpick behind each marshmallow as a support. just be sure to remove them before eating! 🙂