People ask me often what my favorite food is, and I never know what to say. There are really just too many foods that I like to narrow it down to just one. I mean, I could tell you my favorite cookie (these chocolate chip cookies) or my favorite bread (this white sandwich bread), but choosing just one food to be my favorite is impossible. One of the top contenders, though, is homemade caramels. Every time I make them, I am reminded all over again just how delightful they are. I’ve been making my favorite homemade caramel recipe for a few years now, and it always turns out perfectly delicious. This time, I decided to try a new twist on the recipe, and used chocolate flavored sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla bean paste instead of just vanilla. Best decision ever! These chocolate vanilla bean caramels are definitely some of the best caramels I’ve ever eaten. They are the perfect blend of chocolate and vanilla, and so indulgently delicious!
Chocolate Vanilla Bean CaramelsPrint Recipe
- 1 cup salted butter cut into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus additional sea salt for sprinkling
- 1 can 14 ounces chocolate flavored sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- Prepare a 9 x 13 pan by lining with parchment paper. In a large heavy pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Slowly stir in the sweetened condensed milk. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until the mixture reaches 235 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla bean paste. Let sit for five minutes, then pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with sea salt. Allow to cool completely before cutting and wrapping in parchment paper.