This flavorful and delicious chicken and asparagus pasta is the perfect light dinner or lunch for a busy day!
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I am the laziest dinner cook ever. I know you would think that since I’m a food blogger, I probably spend all day cooking some amazing and gourmet dinner, but you would be wrong. I put off cooking dinner pretty much every night until the last minute, and even though I usually have a menu plan in place, I almost always go for the easiest option available. Most of what we eat is boring and easy and repetitive, like tacos, sandwiches, or soup from the freezer. One thing my kids love and will always eat happily is pasta. I’ve even found that I can get them to try new vegetables (such as asparagus) if I serve them in a warm and creamy pasta dish.
This chicken and asparagus pasta satisfies pretty much all of my criteria for dinner: it’s quick, it’s easy, it’s tasty, it’s not terribly unhealthy, and everyone likes it! I love the creamy sauce with the tender asparagus and juicy chunks of chicken. It’s perfect for a busy night, since it only takes about thirty minutes to make, and it’s one we’ll make again and again!
Chicken Asparagus PastaPrint Recipe
- 1/2 pound rotini pasta
- 2 chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus trimmed and cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup half and half or greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, then drain and set aside. While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown and cooked through. Remove to a plate and set aside. Add the asparagus to the skillet and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Saute until bright green and tender, then remove from the skillet.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the remaining three tablespoons of butter. When the butter has melted, whisk in the flour to form a paste. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until golden. Slowly add the chicken broth, whisking constantly, followed by the milk and half and half. Let cook until thickened and starting to bubble. Remove from heat and whisk in the parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper, until the parmesan is melted. Return the skillet to the heat and stir in the chicken and asparagus, until heated through. Serve hot and enjoy!
Originally published on Somewhat Simple