These rich and gooey hot cocoa cookies are the perfect treat for a cold day!
Happy New Year! I still in denial that it can possibly be 2017 already. I was definitely ready to see the back of 2016, though, so I’m glad for a fresh start in the new year. This is our first winter in Portland, and I’m still getting used to the difference in weather. Coming from Utah, I’m used to having a thick blanket of snow on the ground nonstop from late November until March or so. Here in Portland, it has already snowed a couple of times this year (which I’m told is fairly unusual) but never more than an inch or two in our area. Most of the time, it’s just overcast and periodically rainy.
As excited as I am about not having to bundle the kids up in their snow clothes and dig the car out every time we go outside, it’s a little weird not having snow to play in! I’m used to sending the kids out to make snow angels and throw snowballs, and having a warm cup of hot chocolate and some cookies to warm up those little tummies when they’re all done playing. These hot cocoa cookies would be perfect for a snow day, especially with a warm drink on the side. I think we’ll plan to just enjoy ours while staring out the window at the rain. 🙂
These cookies are pretty fantastic! They start with a rich, thick chocolate cookie, then are top with melty chocolate bar pieces and marshmallows, and toasted until the marshmallows are fluffy and soft. Each bite is ooey-gooey and totally delicious, and I love the combination of chocolate, marshmallow, and cookie. Yum!
Hot Cocoa CookiesPrint Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter cut into pieces
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 12-16 marshmallows cut in half
- 1 large Hershey bar broken into squares.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, combine the butter and chocolate chips. Heat at 50% power for thirty second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Pour the chocolate mixture into a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the brown sugar, and mix until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix to combine. Refrigerate the dough for thirty minutes. During the last ten minutes of chilling time, preheat the oven to 325 and line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone liners.
- Roll the dough into one inch balls and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes, or until the cookies start to crack. Remove from the oven and top each with a square of chocolate and a marshmallow half. Return to the oven and bake 3-4 minutes, or until the marshmallows have puffed. Let cool completely before serving.