These chicken taco lettuce wraps are made in the slow cooker and so flavorful and delicious! They’re the perfect healthy meal for a busy day.
Is everyone else still as into lettuce wraps as I am? I’m not a low carb eater by any means (heaven knows I love me some bread, as evidenced by the fact that I’m sharing two different bread recipes on the blog this week), but there’s something so crisp and delicious about a lettuce wrap. I’ve been making these asian lettuce wraps for a few years now, but I thought it would be fun to change things up and try a southwest twist. These chicken taco lettuce wraps are fantastic! The chicken cooks in the slow cooker until it’s flavorful and tender, then gets wrapped up in a crisp lettuce leaf and topped with your favorite taco toppings. They’re a lighter twist on classic tacos, and one the whole family will love!
If you’re short on time, you could definitely make the chicken in the Instant Pot instead. I would suggest adding everything as described below, as well as 1/4 cup water, then setting the instant pot to high pressure for 20 minutes. I’ve made this chicken that way several times, and it always turns out delicious!
Chicken Taco Lettuce WrapsPrint Recipe
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds chicken breast trimmed
- 1 medium onion cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 head fresh lettuce I used butter lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- additional taco toppings as desired sour cream, tomatoes, olives, etc.
- Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray. Add the chicken breast to the bottom of the slow cooker and sprinkle with the onions. Mix together the salsa, taco seasoning, and garlic powder, and pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-6 hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks, then return to the slow cooker and mix with the sauce. To serve, spoon the chicken mixture into each leaf of lettuce and sprinkle with cheese. Top with additional toppings as desired.
Originally published on Somewhat Simple