These popcorn cupcakes are so adorable and fun, and so easy to make!
I mentioned last Monday that it was my daughter Abby’s tenth birthday, and we had her birthday party over the weekend! As much as I love planning parties and getting everything ready, the whole party experience is a little exhausting to me. I’m a total introvert by nature, so it’s hard to spend hours with people I don’t know. I always need a long nap after a party to reset myself! 🙂 Abby asked for a movie and popcorn party, and I’ll share all the fun details from her party on Wednesday. Today, though, I’m excited to share these fun popcorn cupcakes!
Abby saw these cupcakes on Pinterest and immediately fell in love. I love that they’re so easy to make, but still fun and unique. The “popcorn” is made from marshmallows that are cut up a little to give them more of a popcorn shape, and the little popcorn cups are just printable wrappers that I found on one of my favorite blogs. I made mine with regular mini marshmallows, and just painted a little yellow food coloring on top, but you could also use the yellow mini marshmallows that come in the multicolor package. I used my trusty vanilla cupcake recipe, and made and decorated the whole batch in about 90 minutes total. Super quick and super easy!
Popcorn CupcakesPrint Recipe
- 12 cupcakes baked and cooled (I used these vanilla bean cupcakes)
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons half and half or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- yellow food coloring
- 3-4 cups mini marshmallows
- printable popcorn cupcake wrappers
- To make the frosting, beat the butter and powdered sugar until combined. Add the vanilla and enough half and half to make a smooth, easy to spread frosting. Add 1-2 drops of yellow food coloring and beat until light and fluffy. To make the popcorn pieces for the top of the cupcakes, cut a T-shape on the top of each mini marshmallow without cutting all the way through. (I found it helpful to use clean kitchen shears, and rinsed them frequently in hot water when they got sticky).
- Spread the frosting on the cupcakes in an even layer. Place the marshmallow pieces on top of each cupcake, covering the top. Add a few tablespoons of water to a small bowl, and add a drop of yellow food coloring to the bowl. Using a clean paint brush, lightly paint the top of the marshmallows with the yellow coloring. Wrap the cupcakes in the printable cupcake wrappers, and secure with tape.