Garlic Scape and White Cheddar Biscuits
These buttery and flaky garlic scape and white cheddar biscuits are so savory and delicious!
I’ve wanted to buy a CSA share for years now, and this summer I finally did! If you’re not familiar with a CSA, basically you buy a share of a farm’s harvest at the beginning of a season, and then get a regular delivery of produce throughout the season. CSA stands for Community-Supported Agriculture, and it’s a great way to support local farms and local produce. (Psst… If you’re a Portland area local, I joined the Hood River Organics CSA and I’ve been really pleased with the quality so far!) Not only do I get a regular delivery of fresh fruits and vegetables, I’ve also had the opportunity to try some new things that I wouldn’t normally have tried, like garlic scapes!
Garlic scapes are the sprouts of the garlic bulbs that the farmers cut off just before the garlic is ready to harvest, and I’ll confess that I had never heard of them before I got them in my produce box. They have a nice garlic flavor that’s much milder than eating a garlic bulb, and a raw texture that’s similar to green beans. You can add them to stir fry, scrambled eggs, or hummus, and they add a nice garlic flavor that’s not overwhelming. I’m planning to use most of my bunch to make some garlic scape pesto (I’ll keep you posted on that!), but I used a few scapes to make these gorgeous biscuits. If you don’t have access to garlic scapes, you could substitute chives or green onions, and I’m sure they’d be equally delicious that way. These biscuits are so buttery and flaky, and the garlic scapes and white cheddar are a delicious combination!
Garlic Scape and White Cheddar BiscuitsPrint Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic scapes or chives or green onions
- 3/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or milk with a splash of white vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Grate the cold butter into the flour mixture, and toss to coat. Add the garlic scapes and cheddar cheese, and toss to combine. Pour in the buttermilk and mix just until the dough comes together. (Be careful not to over-mix!) Pat the dough out to an even layer, about one inch thick, on a lightly floured surface. Fold the dough into thirds, as though you are folding a letter. Pat the dough out again until it is about one inch thick. Turn the dough 90 degrees and fold it in thirds again. Pat it out into a rectangle that is approximately one inch thick. Cut into circles using a biscuit cutter or small cup. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on top.