These juicy and flavorful Instant Pot barbacoa tacos are so delicious and easy to make, too!
Oh, tacos. I love tacos! I shared these pork carnitas tacos a few weeks ago, and now I’m excited to share their sister tacos, these lovely beef barbacoa tacos. They’re made using a similar method, and they’re both deliciously flavorful and savory. One of my favorite things about using the Instant Pot is that it cooks everything very quickly, but the food tastes like it was cooked low and slow. It’s a win-win!
I don’t have a lot of experience with cooking beef, and I’m always a little nervous about cooking a roast, because it feels like a lot of money to waste if it doesn’t turn out well. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy these tacos were to make, and how awesome they turned out! The beef is tender and juicy, and the combination of flavors is excellent!
I found that two teaspoons of minced chipotles in adobo was perfect for my spice preference, but you can add more or less to taste. If you haven’t cooked with them before, you can usually find them on the Mexican aisle at the grocery store, near the enchilada sauce and salsa. They add a nice flavor boost, but they’re definitely on the spicy side. (I think my kids would have been happier if I had left them out, but they said their tacos were yummy, even if it they were “too hot!”) These tacos taste as good as any I’ve had from a restaurant, but they were so easy to make at home!
Instant Pot Barbacoa TacosPrint Recipe
- 2 pounds chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- for serving: flour tortillas cilantro, red onions, pico de gallo, etc.
- Heat the Instant Pot in sauté mode. Trim the excess fat from the roast and cut into large chunks. Add the oil to the instant pot and add half of the beef, turning to brown all sides. Remove to a clean plate and repeat with remaining beef. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook until slightly translucent, 2-3 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together the beef broth, lime juice, chilies, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and cloves. Return the beef to the Instant Pot, and pour the sauce over the top. Place the cover on the Instant Pot and cook at high pressure for 60 minutes, then let naturally release for 15 minutes. Remove the meat from the pot using a slotted spoon and shred. Return the meat to the cooking liquid. Serve hot with warm flour tortillas, cilantro, and red onion.
For the perfect side dishes for your barbacoa tacos, check out these delicious recipes below: