This cheesy sausage and potato chowder is a hearty and filling meal that’s perfect for a cold night!
It has been super cold this week in Portland, so I have been craving all of the cozy soups! You’d think that growing up in Utah would have made me basically immune to cold (and heat), but instead I find myself whining whenever I have to wear any jacket heavier than my cozy fleece. It seems winter is finally on its way (although I’m still enjoying the beautiful fall leaves on the trees outside my house) and it’s time to break out the space heater, velour blankets, hot chocolate, and all the soup I can eat!
This cheesy sausage and potato chowder is a twist on my zuppa toscana, and so incredibly delicious! As much as I love zuppa toscana, my husband is not a big fan, thanks to the spinach or kale it usually contains. I wanted to make a soup that had all the flavor I love in that soup, but without adding the green stuff that my husband swears will kill him. This soup is it! I like that it’s simple, with a short ingredient list, but still so flavorful and hearty. I made it on a busy night when I was tired and didn’t feel like spending a lot of energy on dinner, and I was amazed at how delicious it came out! I had to text my husband at work immediately and tell him all about the deliciousness that was awaiting him when he got home. 🙂
I served the soup with some crusty sourdough bread, and every single member of my family ate their whole bowl of soup. My six year old even asked if it was possible to send soup in her lunch the next day. Considering how picky she has been lately, it was a major win! If you want to make the soup a little lighter, you could substitute milk for the half and half, or use turkey sausage instead of pork sausage. We loved it just as it was, though!
Cheesy Sausage and Potato ChowderPrint Recipe
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3-4 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half and half or milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the Italian sausage until browned and cooked through. Drain and set aside. In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until translucent. Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant. Add the sausage and chicken broth to the pot and bring to a simmer. Add the potatoes to the pot and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in the salt, pepper, half and half, and cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
For more delicious soup recipes, check out some of my favorites below: