Chocolate Covered Strawberries
These homemade chocolate covered strawberries are so easy to make and so delicious! They’re the perfect romantic dessert for Valentine’s Day!
When it comes to iconic Valentine’s Day desserts, you really can’t do better than chocolate covered strawberries! They’ve always been one of my favorite treats, but it wasn’t until a few years ago that I realized how easy they are to make at home. They are seriously so simple to make, and not only are they beautiful and elegant, they’re also totally delicious! They’re perfect for special occasions, but so easy to make that you can enjoy them any time.
Since these chocolate covered strawberries have just three ingredients, it’s important that they’re all good quality. The quality of the chocolate, in particular, makes a huge difference! I like to use the Pound Plus bars from Trader Joe’s, but any good quality milk chocolate and/or dark chocolate should work well. If you prefer using melting wafers instead of block chocolate, I would recommend splurging a little on Ghirardelli wafers instead of the cheaper Wilton candy melts. (I love using those for other things like these adorable Christmas Oreos, but you need some really great chocolate flavor here!)
It’s important to make sure your strawberries are completely dry before you start, or the chocolate won’t stick. I usually soak them in cold water with a splash of vinegar for a few minutes, then drain them and lay them out on paper towels to dry. I also find the chocolate sticks a little better if the strawberries are cold, so I store them in the fridge until I’m ready to dip.
I chose to use milk chocolate for the base and dark chocolate for the drizzle, but of course you can use any combination of chocolate you like. Make sure to refrigerate the berries after they are dipped in the base chocolate, then refrigerate them again after you do the drizzle. Once the chocolate is set, the extra drizzled chocolate from around the sides should be easy to snap off.
These chocolate covered strawberries are best when eaten within a few days, but they’re so delicious I’m sure you’ll have no trouble disposing of them. 🙂 They are a must-make this Valentine’s Day!
Chocolate Covered StrawberriesPrint Recipe
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 8 ounces milk chocolate chopped into pieces
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chopped into pieces
- Gently wash the strawberries and dry completely. Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone. Add the milk chocolate to a double boiler over medium heat, and melt, stirring frequently to prevent overheating. (Alternatively, you can add the chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and heat at 50% power for 30 second intervals, stirring in between.) Dip the strawberries into the melted chocolate, turning to coat all sides. Shake gently to let the excess chocolate drip off, then place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strawberries, then move to the fridge to cool and harden for 10-15 minutes.
- While the chocolate is cooling, melt the dark chocolate in the double boiler or microwave. Pour the melted dark chocolate into a piping bag (a zipper bag works fine too!) and cut off a small piece of the corner of the bag. Drizzle the dark chocolate over the top of the strawberries. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes, or until ready to serve. Best when eaten within 2-3 days.