Easy Stovetop Chili
This rich and meaty stovetop chili is so flavorful, and so easy to make! It’s a hearty dinner the whole family will love!
Does anyone else feel completely weighed down by the idea of making dinner every single night? I seem to go through phases with it. Sometimes I’m full of great dinner ideas and excited to make menu plans for the week, and other times it feels totally overwhelming and I’m all out of ideas. At times it seems to be related to the season of life we’re in… for example, when I was working full time outside of the home, it was all we could do just to survive, so we mostly ate easy frozen foods or picked up dinner on the way home from work and daycare. When I was a stay at home mom to two little ones, I really enjoyed planning a menu every week and it was a fun outlet for my creativity to come up with new and delicious recipes for dinner each week.
I’m not sure if it’s the winter blahs, or what, but lately I seem to be in quite the slump as far as dinner goes. I know what you’re thinking – She’s a food blogger! Cooking dinner is easy for her!, but let me tell you, it is a struggle lately. I haven’t made a good solid menu plan in months, and mostly we just eat whatever I can scrounge in our pantry or freezer, with quick trips to the store for essentials, and way too much take-out. I was all prepared to text my husband to pick up fast food on his way home from work a few nights ago, when I stumbled across this great post about homemaking. It was exactly the kick in the pants I needed to pull together a dinner that was completely delicious, reasonably healthy, and a new favorite for my kids!
I’m not going to say that making this stovetop chili has fixed all of my struggles with dinner time (far from it!), but it was a step in the right direction, and a reminder that making dinner can actually be enjoyable, and not just a chore. This chili has the perfect combination of flavors, and I love that it’s so rich and meaty. I served it with some quick and delicious corn muffins on the side, and everyone happily cleared their plates with no complaining. That’s a mom win!
Easy Stovetop ChiliPrint Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can 10 ounces Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1 can 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 can 15.5 ounces chili beans in sauce
- 1 can 15.5 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions to the pot, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking into smaller pieces, until browned and cooked through. Pour the beef broth into the pot and scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, pepper, salt, and Worcestershire sauce to the pot. Stir to combine, and cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in the Ro-Tel, tomato sauce, chili beans, black beans, and corn, and bring the chili to a simmer. Simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Serve hot with shredded cheese and sour cream.
Awww, I love that my post inspired you in some small way! This just totally made my day that you shared that 🙂 Now I'm off to check out all your recipes…