Strawberry Crumb Cake
This strawberry crumb cake is so simple and delicious, and has the best sweet strawberry flavor!
Hooray! I’m back with another delicious strawberry recipe to share with you today. (In case you missed my exciting news last week and why I’ve been MIA lately, you can check out that post here!) This strawberry crumb cake may be my favorite new dessert of the summer. It’s simple to make, using mostly pantry staples, but fancy enough to serve for company (not that we have much of that these days). It’s equal parts elegant and delicious, which is the best kind of dessert!
I’ve been making a slightly different version of this cake for years and years now, but it occurred me this time that the cake would be even more delicious if I added a layer of streusel on top. You really can’t go wrong with streusel, right? It took what was already a fantastic cake, and made it even more decadent and over the top delicious! The cake itself is tender and not overly sweet, and the strawberry layer is so flavorful and sweet, and just a little tangy. The crumbly and buttery streusel on top is the perfect finishing touch! I usually bake the cake in a pie dish or regular cake pan, but because of the extra streusel layer, I’ve found that a springform pan works best to keep all of the deliciousness contained.
This cake actually keeps really well overnight with a loose layer of foil or plastic wrap on top, and makes for a totally delicious breakfast, if you are so inclined. 🙂 If you want it to last for longer than overnight, I would suggest refrigerating it, or the strawberries can turn a little iffy. We will definitely be making this one on repeat all through the summer!
Strawberry Crumb CakePrint Recipe
for the cake:
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound strawberries sliced
for the streusel:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9 inch springform pan and set aside. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Add the egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until just combined. Spread the cake batter in the prepared pan. Arrange the strawberries in a single layer on top of the cake batter (it’s okay to overlap a little if you run out of room).
- To make the topping, whisk together the sugar, flour, and salt with a fork. Cut in the butter using a fork or your fingers to form a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top of the cake. Bake the cake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325. Bake an additional 50-60 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.