Zucchini Corn Chowder
This delicious and savory zucchini corn chowder is the perfect way to enjoy those abundant summer vegetables!
If you’ve checked out the soup archives on this blog, then you probably know that I absolutely love soup! We eat it year round, and I could probably eat some variety of soup every day and never get tired of it. This time of year, there are definitely days when it’s too hot to cook, but I still make room in my menu for a soup night at least once a week. This zucchini corn chowder is one of my favorites to make during the summer months. It’s full of fresh summer vegetables, and has a creamy texture that makes it extra delicious.
I made this soup with fresh zucchini from our garden, and sweet corn from a local farm market that we love and visit frequently. The soup complemented the flavors of the vegetables perfectly! I loved that it made a large batch, too, so we were able to have it for dinner two nights instead of just one. With some breadsticks on the side (recipe coming soon!) it was a delicious summer meal!
Zucchini Corn ChowderPrint Recipe
- 4 strips bacon chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups sweet corn cut from cob
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3-4 medium red potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large zucchini cut into bite sized pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the bacon to the pot and cook until crispy and browned. Remove half of the bacon pieces from the pot to drain on paper towels. Add the onion, garlic, and corn to the pot, and cook until the onions are softened and the garlic is fragrant. Add the chicken broth, red potatoes, salt and pepper, and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer ten minutes, then add the zucchini to the pot and simmer for an additional ten minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Remove 2 cups of the soup from the pot and puree using a blender or food processor. Return the pureed soup to the pot and stir to combine. Add the half and half and cook until warmed through. Serve hot with the reserved bacon pieces on top.