Creamy Baked Tortellini
This creamy baked tortellini has a delicious parmesan sauce and tender chunks of chicken. It’s the essence of comfort food!
I know some people like to turn their noses up at casseroles, but there’s a reason that they are perennially popular! Sometimes you just need a delicious comfort food meal, am I right? This creamy baked tortellini is one of my favorite meals to bring to new moms or new neighbors. It’s mild enough to be very kid-friendly, but still flavorful and delicious. I made up the recipe almost seven years ago when my cute nephew Xander was born, and my sister in law said it was her favorite meal during that bleary postpartum period. With a new baby of my own coming next month, I’ve already made a double batch to keep in the freezer so my husband can re-heat it for us on a day when I need some comfort food!
I like to use frozen tortellini because I feel like the texture is a little better, but refrigerated tortellini works too. Using rotisserie chicken makes it extra quick and easy to put together, but you could easily cook a few chicken breasts, or even used canned chicken if you prefer. The sauce is similar to my homemade mac and cheese sauce, but with some garlic parmesan flavor. So yummy!
If I’m making this casserole for the freezer, it usually works best for me to cook the tortellini and sauce, pour them into a disposable baking pan (I like the 9 x 9 foil cake pans), cover tightly with plastic wrap, and then cover with foil. I mix up the bread crumbs and butter, put them in a snack size zipper bag, and put them in between the plastic wrap layer and the foil layer. When I’m ready to bake it, I pull off the foil and plastic wrap, sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top, and then bake 60-70 minutes at 350, until the casserole is heated through and the sauce is bubbling. I like that I can just recycle the pan when I’m done and have no dishes to wash!
This creamy baked tortellini is a totally delicious, kid-friendly comfort food meal!
Creamy Baked TortelliniPrint Recipe
for the pasta:
- 1 package about 20 ounces frozen tortellini
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken I used rotisserie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
for the topping:
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350. Cook the tortellini according to the package directions. While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, stirring well so that the flour is completely incorporated. Cook 2-3 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Slowly add the milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and whisk in the parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Add the garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed. Stir in the cooked tortellini and cooked chicken. Pour the pasta mixture into a 9 x 9 baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter and bread crumbs. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top of the pasta, spreading evenly. Bake 20-25 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.