This instant pot white chicken chili is simple to make, and so hearty and delicious!
We’ve been lucky enough to have a pretty mild winter so far here in Portland, but we’ve entered a long stretch of rainy days, and things are feeling a little gloomy for me. We only get around eight-ish hours of daylight every day anyway, but with gray skies and rain pouring down most of the day, everything just feels damp and cold. I’ve been doing what I can to make things feel cozy and warm in the house, and we’ve really been enjoying cuddling together near the warm fireplace. Nothing says cozy like soup for dinner, and we’ve been enjoying a variety of soups, stews, and chilis lately. This instant pot white chicken chili is simple and quick to make, and always a family favorite!
This chili is adapted from my delicious slow cooker chicken chili (so feel free to use that recipe instead if you don’t have an instant pot). I love how the instant pot makes everything quicker and easier! The chicken is tender and delicious, and I love that it has that cooked-all-day flavor and texture after just 30 minutes in the instant pot. I used great northern beans and black beans because that’s what I had on hand, but you can substitute whatever kind of beans are your favorite, in whatever combination you like. I love to serve this chili with some sweet corn muffins on the side. It’s a hearty and delicious meal that’s perfect for warming up a cold winter day!
Instant Pot White Chicken ChiliPrint Recipe
for the chili:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small can of green chiles
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon chicken base or 1 bouillon cube, dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- shredded cheese
- tortilla strips
- sour cream
- Place the chicken breasts into the instant pot. Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, chicken broth, green chiles, beans, and corn. Secure the lid on the pot. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes. Allow the pressure to release for ten minutes, then use the manual release. Pull out the chicken breasts and shred using two forks, then return to the pot.
- While the pressure is releasing, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to form a paste. Cook 2-3 minutes, until light golden. Whisking constantly to prevent lumps, slowly add the milk and the water/chicken base mixture. Continue to cook until thickened, then add the salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the instant pot, and stir to combine. Add the sour cream and stir until combined. Serve with toppings of your choice, and enjoy!