Biscuit Pot Pie
This biscuit pot pie is the epitome of comfort food! It’s so delicious, and so easy to make!
A few months ago my kids made a list of all of their favorite foods that I cook, and it has been totally invaluable as I’ve been planning my menus. I have such a hard time thinking of new and exciting things to cook every week, but it turns out that they just want to eat the same things over and over and over. 🙂 I recently asked my husband to add some of his favorites to the list, and he said, “Um, I just want to eat biscuit pot pie. Every night. Forever.” That’s pretty high praise, right? This biscuit pot pie is simple and delicious, and way easier to make than a traditional pot pie!
I make this biscuit pot pie whenever my husband needs a little pick-me-up after a rough day, and it’s always a crowd pleaser. Best of all, it’s really simple and easy to make! I nearly always have all of the ingredients on hand (I keep rotisserie chicken and mixed vegetables in the freezer specifically for this purpose!) and I can usually have it in the oven in less than twenty minutes. It’s delicious comfort food that doesn’t take all day to make – a total win!
This meal is so warm and hearty and comforting, and so perfect for the cooler fall days that are on the way. The chicken and vegetable filling is creamy and delicious, and it complements the biscuits perfectly. I used my favorite biscuit recipe for topping, and I love that they get crisp and golden brown on the top as they bake, while staying light, tender, and flaky in the middle. Everyone in my family loves this meal!
Biscuit Pot PiePrint Recipe
for the filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables
for the biscuits:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350. To make the filling, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to form a paste. Cook 2-3 minutes, until golden. Slowly whisk in the milk, a little at a time, stirring frequently to prevent lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened and creamy. Stir in the salt and pepper, taste, and adjust seasonings if needed. Stir in the cooked chicken and vegetables. Pour the filling mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- To make the biscuits, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Grate the cold butter into the flour mixture, and toss to coat. Pour in the buttermilk and mix just until the dough comes together. Pat the dough out to an even layer, about one inch thick, on a lightly floured surface. Fold the dough into thirds, as though you are folding a letter. Pat the dough out again until it is about one inch thick. Cut the biscuit dough into eight equal pieces. Place the biscuits on top of the filling mixture. Bake 35-40 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown on top and the filling is bubbling.
This was so delicious! I’ve made it several times now and it has always been a hit! Thank you!! Also, your new website layout looks great!
Thanks so much! It’s a favorite at my house too.