Easy Chicken Parmesan
This easy chicken parmesan is a simple and flavorful main dish that’s quick to make, and a family favorite!
Who else loves chicken for dinner? We eat chicken more than any other meat at our house, and it’s on the menu several nights a week. I have a ton of recipes on the blog using rotisserie chicken, because it’s so easy and quick to throw into just about anything, but sometimes it’s a nice change of pace to just actually cook the chicken instead of using the pre-cooked chicken from Costco. Since I’m a busy (and perpetually exhausted) mom of three, dinner needs to be low effort, high reward, or else I’m not going to bother with it most of the time.
If you, like me, are always looking for another simple and delicious dinner recipe to add to your rotation, look no further than this easy chicken parmesan! It’s quick to make, totally kid-friendly, and always a family favorite. It’s easy enough for a busy weeknight dinner, but fancy enough to serve for company! It’s just a great all-around meal. Serve it with pasta or rice, add some steamed veggies or a green salad on the side, and you’ve got a reasonably healthy and delicious meal that’s ready in no time at all.
Since the chicken breasts I usually buy are enormous, I started by slicing them in half horizontally to form thinner, more manageable portions. They will cook faster and more evenly that way, and I like that I can stretch three chicken breasts into dinner for my family and lunch for my husband and I the next day. Next, I coated the chicken in seasoned breadcrumbs, and baked it until it was cooked through. Next comes the fun part! Spread marinara sauce on each piece of chicken, then sprinkle it with cheese. I just used spaghetti sauce from the jar to keep things simple, but feel free to use homemade (this is my favorite homemade marinara sauce). I used freshly shredded low moisture mozzarella, but I think fresh mozzarella or provolone would also be delicious.
Put the pan back in the oven, then bake it until the cheese is melty and gooey and delicious. Look at all of that gorgeous melty cheese!
I like to serve it over fettucine or spaghetti, but you can use any form of pasta you like, or even just skip the pasta if you want less carbs (I always want more carbs). As with most Italian food, the leftovers are delicious, and I think it maybe even tastes better the next day. I plan most of my meals with leftovers in mind, and this one makes delicious leftovers!
This easy and delicious chicken parmesan is sure to be a new family favorite!
Easy Chicken ParmesanPrint Recipe
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375. Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally to form six thin cutlets. In a shallow dish, whisk together the egg and milk. In another shallow dish, whisk together the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese. Dip each chicken cutlet in the egg mixture, then in the bread crumb mixture, making sure to coat both sides with bread crumbs.
- Place the chicken cutlets on a greased baking sheet, and spray with cooking spray. Bake 25-30 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Spread 1/4 cup of marinara sauce on each of the cutlets, then sprinkle each with 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot over pasta or rice.