Blueberry Streusel Muffins
These blueberry streusel muffins are the best muffins you’ll ever eat! They have the perfect texture, loads of blueberries, and a buttery streusel.
I know I’ve posted my share of different blueberry muffin recipes here on the blog, but this is THE ONE. The best blueberry muffin recipe I’ve ever come across. I’ve already posted several variations on this recipe, like these apple cinnamon streusel muffins and these huckleberry muffins, but I figured it was time to finally post the original here.
I discovered this recipe on Sugar and Charm over a year ago, and I’ve made them at least every other week since then, with a few little tweaks to suit my tastes. I was skeptical at first that they would actually be more delicious than the recipe I’ve been using for years, but they really are! They are everything I want in a muffin – sweet, tender, and full of blueberries, with a crisp and buttery streusel on top. They are muffin perfection!
As with most muffins, you need to be careful not to over-mix them, or they will lose that perfect texture. I usually make them with fresh blueberries, but they work equally well with frozen blueberries (although the blueberries tend to bleed into the batter a little bit and turn them purple). My kids actually like them best with frozen wild blueberries, so there are more blueberries packed into each bite.
If you’re using frozen blueberries, I would recommend tossing them with a tablespoon or so of the flour mixture before adding them to the batter, to help prevent them from sinking in the batter and control the color bleeding a little bit.
These muffins will keep well for several days in the fridge, so I often make a batch at the beginning of the week so my kids can help themselves on busy school mornings. When I have a little more time, I like to warm them up again in the toaster oven, so the streusel on top can crisp up and the muffins are warmed all the way through. They’re good both warm and cold, but I especially love them warm with a little butter on them. Yum!
These blueberry streusel muffins are the perfect way to start the day!
Blueberry Streusel MuffinsPrint Recipe
for the muffins:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk warmed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
for the streusel:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 425. Add 18 paper liners to two muffin tins. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just barely combined. Gently fold the blueberries into the muffin batter.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling 3/4 full. To make the streusel, whisk the flour, sugar, and brown sugar together with a fork in a small bowl. Drizzle in the melted butter and whisk until the butter is blended in and the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the streusel over the tops of the muffins. Bake 15 minutes, or until light golden brown on top and cooked through.