These peppermint brownies are so decadent and delicious, with the best chocolate flavor and the perfect touch of peppermint!
When it comes to brownies, do you prefer a middle piece or an edge piece? I can never decide if I want the crispy edges or the gooey middles. If you have the same problem I do, these peppermint brownies are just the ticket! They are perfect little self-contained brownie servings, with a delicious edge ring and a decadent fudgy middle. They have chopped candy cane kisses stirred into the batter, and a touch of peppermint extract for the perfect mint flavor. They are the perfect Christmas treat!
My ten year old made these with her best friend for baking club this week, and they turned out so delicious, and adorable too! (And who doesn’t love a recipe that is so easy that two ten year olds can make it by themselves?)
I haven’t made brownies in a muffin tin before, but now I’m wondering where these beauties have been my whole life! Not only do they have the perfect amount of edge versus middle, but they cool down much more quickly than a bigger pan of brownies, which means I can get my chocolate fix that much sooner (win!). It’s important to grease the pan pretty well to make the brownies easier to remove. I used a plastic knife to slide around the edges of each brownie cup, and they all popped out pretty easily.
These brownies will stay fresh for 2-3 days if stored in an airtight container, but they are pretty magical when they are still just slightly warm from the oven and a little gooey. We served them with homemade hot chocolate and marshmallows, but they would also be delicious as a brownie sundae with ice cream and chocolate syrup on top. These brownies are so rich and chocolatey and delicious!
Peppermint BrowniesPrint Recipe
- 12 tablespoons butter cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped candy cane kisses or Andes peppermint chips
- Preheat the oven to 325. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add the sugar and cocoa powder, and mix until smooth. Remove the pan from heat, add the eggs, vanilla, and peppermint extract, and mix until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and most of the candy cane kisses, leaving a few to sprinkle on top of the brownie cups. Scoop the brownie batter into the muffin tin, filling the cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin cup comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Let cool for 10-15 minutes, then gently slide a plastic utensil around the edges of the brownies to release them from the pan. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a cooling rack.