These chocolate chip waffles are totally delicious, and so easy to make. They’re the perfect way to start the day!
I’ve mentioned my undying love for my little army of mini waffle makers before, but I just can’t get enough of them! When you have a picky toddler in the house who seems to subsist on air alone, but will never turn down a waffle, you start getting a little creative with all of your waffle flavors! These chocolate chip waffles are totally delicious, and so easy to make. They’re perfect for a special occasion breakfast (or any time you need a slightly decadent start to your day). They’re crisp on the outside, light and fluffy in the middle, and freeze beautifully, so it’s easy to make a big batch and freeze the leftovers for another day.
If you don’t have a mini waffle maker, you could definitely make these in a regular waffle maker instead. I love that the mini waffles fit into the toaster just like Eggo waffles, so it’s easy for my kids to warm them up on their own when they want waffles for breakfast. These waffles taste great all on their own, but my kids especially love them with some whipped cream and a little chocolate syrup drizzled on top. They kind of veer into dessert territory at that point, but what’s life without the occasional dessert for breakfast? 🙂
Chocolate Chip WafflesPrint Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter cut into pieces
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Add the butter and buttermilk to a small bowl or measuring cup, and heat in the microwave for one minute and thirty seconds, or until the butter is melted. Whisk in the vanilla and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy. Add the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, and mix until just combined (small lumps are okay). Let sit five minutes. While the batter is resting, preheat the waffle iron. Pour the batter onto the waffle iron and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
- Cook according to the waffle maker’s directions. (For my mini waffle maker, 1/4 cup of batter cooked for 3-4 minutes was perfect.)