Instant Pot Barbecue Pork Sandwiches
These Instant Pot barbecue pork sandwiches are so tender and flavorful, and so easy to make!
What’s this? Another super easy and delicious Instant Pot meal? Sign me up! These Instant Pot barbecue pork sandwiches are so flavorful and juicy, and so easy to make. They’re great for tailgating or adding to a game day spread, or just a perfect anytime meal! The Instant Pot does nearly all of the work for you, so it’s a low-effort, high-reward main course. (And let’s be honest, that’s what I’m always looking for in a main course.)
I’ve made these sandwiches with both pork shoulder and pork roast, and they both turn out really well! I find it much easier to shred the meat if I cut it into two inch pieces before cooking. The meat comes out more flavorful and tender that way as well. If you’re using a bone-in pork shoulder, you will probably want to cut the meat off the bone before cooking, but sometimes I’m lazy and just leave the bone in, and it works fine that way as well. Adding a spice rub and browning the meat before it’s cooked in the Instant Pot gives it a lot more flavor, and it only takes a few extra minutes. Definitely don’t skip that step!
As far as barbecue sauce goes, my family loves Sweet Baby Ray’s, so that’s what I use the majority of the time. You can add more or less depending on your taste. The combination of the liquid smoke, spice rub, and barbecue sauce is totally delicious, and gives these sandwiches so much flavor. They’re a family favorite!
Instant Pot Barbecue Pork SandwichesPrint Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless pork roast cut into two inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup barbecue sauce divided
- brioche hamburger buns
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, and pepper. Toss the pieces of pork roast in the spice rub. Add the oil to the instant pot insert and press the saute button. When the oil is hot, add about half of the pork pieces in a single layer on the bottom of the pot. Cook 2-3 minutes, until browned, then flip to brown the other side. Remove the pork from the pot and repeat with the remaining pork. Remove the second batch of pork from the pot and pour the beef broth into the pot. Scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the liquid smoke and 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce to the pot and stir to combine.
- Cancel the saute function and return the pork to the pot, making sure to pour in any juices that have accumulated. Place the lid on the pot, turn the knob to seal, and cook on the meat/stew setting for 25 minutes at high pressure. Let the pressure naturally release for at least 15 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure. Pull the pork pieces out of the pot and shred, then return them to the pot to soak in the juices. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce. Serve the shredded pork hot on hamburger buns.