These cheesy and savory chicken and broccoli pockets are freezer friendly and perfect for a hearty lunch or easy dinner!
Once upon a time, I was a girl who loved her Hot Pockets (you can read the whole story here, if you so desire). Don’t get me wrong, I’m now aware of how completely disgusting they are, but ten-years-ago me couldn’t get enough of them. 🙂 These chicken and broccoli pockets are like the grown up, sophisticated, homemade version of Hot Pockets, and they are fantastic! They have a soft and crisp outside crust, and a savory, cheesy, delicious filling that’s loaded with shredded chicken and tender broccoli. They’re simple and quick to make, and freeze beautifully!
I like to double the recipe and make a huge batch to have in the freezer when I need a quick and easy lunch. I freeze them after they’re baked, then reheat them by popping them in the microwave for a few minutes. They’re perfect for sending to work with my husband for lunch, and my kids love when I pack half of a pocket in their lunches as well (they’re weird and like to eat them cold). These chicken and broccoli pockets are one of my very favorite meals!
Chicken and Broccoli PocketsPrint Recipe
for the crust:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
for the filling:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 2 cups chopped steamed broccoli cooled slightly
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese cut into small cubes
- olive oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit five minutes, or until bubbly. Add the flour, oil, and salt, and mix until a dough forms. Knead gently, adding more flour as needed, to form a soft dough. Allow to rise for at least one hour.
- While the dough is rising, make the filling. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour, and whisk until combined. Let cook for a few minutes, until very lightly browned. Slowly add the milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly. Cook for a few minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat, and whisk in 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Set aside for a moment to cool. In a medium bowl, combine broccoli, chicken, and chunks of cheese. Pour the cheese sauce over the top, and mix to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a circle. Scoop 1/6 of the filling onto one side of each piece of dough. Be careful to keep the cheese sauce at least an inch away from the edges, or they will be difficult to seal. Pull the other half of the dough over the top of filling and seal the edges closed. Using a fork, pierce the top of the pockets once or twice to allow steam to escape. Brush the tops of the pockets with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.