Savory Meat Pies
These delicious and savory meat pies are so easy to make, and taste amazing!
Now that it’s September, it’s finally time to break out the comfort food! Portland hasn’t quite gotten the memo yet about lowering the temperatures, but I’m pushing ahead with all of my favorite fall foods regardless. These savory meat pies are incredibly delicious and so easy to make, too! I saw the recipe on my friend Cort’s blog ages ago, and I’ve been wanting to make them ever since. With my newfound skills in making homemade pie crust, the time was finally ripe to try them. They definitely did not disappoint! The filling is incredibly flavorful, and I love the fun little boost of flavor from the dijon mustard and cheddar cheese. My kids are not big fans of cabbage, but they both ate their pies with no complaints. The cabbage is really tender and mellow in these pies, and not overpowering at all. My husband and I loved these pies too, and we will definitely make them many times over the fall and winter months!
Savory Meat PiesPrint Recipe
- 2 pie crusts I made my own using this recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 450. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef with the onion, garlic, salt, and pepper, until cooked through. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring regularly, until wilted, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mustard and cheese. Cut the pie crusts into six inch circles (I used a bowl to cut mine). Scoop about 1/2 cup of filling onto one side of each circle. Fold the top of the crust over and crimp the edges with a fork to seal. Poke holes in the top with a fork, or make slashes on the top with a sharp knife to release steam. Place on a lightly greased or lined baking sheet, and repeat with remaining pie crust (you may need to re-roll the dough). In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water, then brush the egg mixture over the pies. Bake 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown.
For more delicious beef main dishes, check out some of my favorites below:
Classic Beef Stroganoff | Guinness Beef Stew | Perfect Pot Roast