These lemon curd cupcakes are the perfect balance of sweet and tart, and so delicious!
Happy National Cake Day, friends! I shared my new favorite homemade lemon curd recipe with you on Friday, and I’m excited to share these fantastic cupcakes that I made with it today. I am totally in love with all things lemon flavored (I have a whole Pinterest board devoted to lemon here!), and these are some of my favorite cupcakes that I have ever made. They have the perfect lemon flavor, with a sweet and tender cupcake filled with silky smooth, tangy lemon curd.
This was my first time making a lemon curd buttercream, and let me tell you – it is to die for! It has such an amazing lemon flavor, and the perfect light texture. The curd gives the buttercream a little more stability, so it’s extra smooth and so easy to pipe onto the cupcakes.
These cupcakes taste just like sunshine. They’re the perfect way to brighten up a cold winter day!
Lemon Curd CupcakesPrint Recipe
for the cupcakes:
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter cold
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
for the frosting/filling:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup lemon curd divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons half and half or milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, rub the lemon zest into the sugar until fragrant. Whisk in the cake flour, flour, baking powder, and salt. Grate the cold butter into the flour mixture, and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the sour cream, vanilla, and lemon extract in a measuring cup. Add the sour cream mixture to the flour mixture, and beat until well blended and smooth. Fill paper liners 2/3 full and bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for a few minutes and then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup lemon curd, and vanilla, and beat on medium speed. Pour in the half and half, until the mixture starts to come together. Increase the speed to high and beat until light and fluffy. Cut a small circle in the center of the top of each cooled cupcake (I used a sharp knife, but you could also use an apple corer or melon baller). Spoon a teaspoon of lemon curd into the center of each cupcake, then replace the top. Pipe the lemon curd frosting onto the top.
For more amazing cake recipes, perfect for National Cake Day, check out these posts from my Celebrating Food blogger friends below:
Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cake from Ashlee Marie
Gingerbread Spice Cake from Life Made Simple
Fudgy Grasshopper Cake from Creations by Kara
Vegan Ginger Spiced Pear Cake from Namely Marly
Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake from Foodie with Family
Cranberry Pound Cake from Real Mom Kitchen
Instant Pot Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
Best Chocolate Cake with Coconut Buttercream from Gather for Bread
and more delicious cake recipes from The Baker Upstairs: