Bacon Mac and Cheese
This savory bacon mac and cheese is super cheesy and packed with crisp bacon pieces. It’s a delicious and hearty dinner!
Hey everyone! It’s International Bacon Day today, which means it’s time to celebrate! It’s hard to think of a food that isn’t improved by adding bacon. Burgers? Check! Pasta? Check! Salad? Check! Donuts? Check! Bacon just makes everything better. One of my favorite ways to eat bacon is in this glorious and luxurious bacon mac and cheese. It’s full of tender macaroni noodles, crisp bacon, and a silky smooth cheese sauce that is worth every calorie. It’s topped with a buttery cracker topping, then baked to perfection. My whole family loves this mac and cheese and requests it constantly!
I think the secret to the perfectly smooth cheese sauce is the addition of processed cheese. I normally don’t cook with American cheese or Velveeta (okay, maybe I did once), but I happened to have a few slices left over in the fridge from my kids’ grilled cheese sandwiches earlier in the week, and I decided to throw them into the cheese sauce on a whim. Once all three cheeses melted together, it was perfectly smooth and thick and lovely. You can definitely substitute other cheeses for the cheddar and colby jack (I usually just use whatever I have on hand) but the combination of sharp cheddar and creamy colby jack was pretty fantastic!
Bacon Mac and CheesePrint Recipe
for the mac and cheese:
- 8 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- 1/2 pound macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- 4 slices American cheese cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
for the topping:
- 1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350. Cook the noodles according to the package directions, then drain. While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk together to form a paste. Cook 3-4 minutes, until golden. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. Bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking frequently, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Stir in the cooked noodles and about 2/3 of the chopped bacon. Pour the macaroni mixture into a 9 x 9 baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together the crushed crackers, butter, and parmesan. Sprinkle the cracker mixture over the macaroni, then top with the remaining chopped bacon. Bake 15 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
For more bacon deliciousness, be sure to check out the posts below from my Celebrating Food blogging friends:
Cheesy Bacon Meatball Bites from Ashlee Marie
Maple-Bourbon Sticky Buns with Bacon from Crumb
Instant Pot Bacon Cheddar Egg Casserole from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
Bacon Breakfast Casserole from Creations by Kara
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts from Simply Stacie
Bacon and Spinach Egg Muffins from My Mommy Style
and even more delicious bacon recipes from The Baker Upstairs:
Bacon and Egg Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Challah French Toast and Peppered Bacon
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Just when I thought mac & cheese couldn't get any better . . . YUM!