These creamy chicken and vegetable enchiladas are an easy and delicious dinner the whole family will love!
The weather around here can’t decide if it wants to be fall or summer, so we’ve had a bunch of really warm days lately and lots of sunshine. It is totally not feeling like October yet! Now that I’m in the last few weeks of my pregnancy and as big as a house, I was really hoping the weather would cool down, but no luck so far. This is the time of year when I need comfort food and cozy sweaters and lounging by the fireplace, not cranking up the air conditioner and wearing shorts all day because it’s too hot to wear anything else. Regardless, I’m going to push ahead with making comfort food for dinner, because it’s what I’m craving and I need whatever comfort I can get. 🙂
Chicken enchiladas are one of my family’s classic comfort food dishes, and they are one of those meals that is guaranteed to get everyone to clean their plates. I’ve made a lot of different varieties over the years (these green chili chicken enchiladas and simple chicken enchiladas are perennial favorites) and I love that they are adaptable to whatever I have on hand. I had some fresh sweet corn and garden zucchini in the fridge this week and decided there was no better way to use them than in these delicious enchiladas! I usually prefer corn tortillas for enchiladas, but I just happened to have some uncooked flour tortillas in the fridge as well, so I used them. I ended up rolling them burrito style because they were so big, but if you are using smaller tortillas, enchilada style will work fine.
These enchiladas have such an awesome combination of flavors, and they’re really simple to make, too!
Creamy Chicken and Vegetable EnchiladasPrint Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium zucchini diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups corn frozen or cut from the cob
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 soft taco sized flour tortillas warmed
- 1 19 ounce can green enchilada sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, zucchini, corn, and salt, and cook until the vegetables are tender. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until heated through. Add the cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder, and stir to combine. Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese until it is completely melted and no lumps remain. Let cool 10 minutes.
- To assemble the tortillas, pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spoon about 1/2 cup of filling into the center of each tortilla, then sprinkle with a little cheese. Roll up the tortillas and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish. When all of the enchiladas have been rolled, pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top, spreading evenly, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake 25-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling. Serve warm with sour cream on top.