Cranberry Orange Muffins
These soft and tender cranberry orange muffins are the perfect blend of tart and sweet!
It’s finally starting to feel like spring these days and I’m so excited for the change! It has been a very long, very difficult winter for me, and I’m happy to have warmer days and sunshine on the horizon. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I am still really into baking muffins right now, and these cranberry orange muffins have such a bright and delicious flavor. I know it’s not typical to think of cranberry as being a spring flavor, but these muffins are so sweet and tart, and the flavor is just like sunshine!
I recently discovered the base recipe for these muffins, and it is my new absolute favorite. I’ve been experimenting with adding different flavors (blueberry muffins coming soon to the blog!) and the combination of cranberry and orange is absolutely fabulous. These muffins have such a light and tender texture, with the perfect balance of sweet and tart flavors. They keep well for several days in an airtight container, so I can make a big batch early in the week and we can have them on hand for easy breakfasts on school mornings.
The recipe for these muffins can easily be halved or doubled, depending on how many muffins you need. They also freeze well, so they’re a great make-ahead breakfast. I used frozen cranberries because I had several bags of them in my freezer already, but you can use fresh cranberries instead if they’re available. If you decide to use dried cranberries, I would suggest reducing the amount to about 3/4 cup. These muffins have such a delicious combination of flavors, and I love that they’re so easy to make!
Cranberry Orange MuffinsPrint Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of one orange
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries cut in half
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 425. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, rub the orange zest into the sugar until fragrant. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and whisk to combine. Toss the cranberries with the flour mixture until coated. In a medium bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, oil, eggs, and orange juice. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Scoop into the prepared muffin tin, filling 2/3 full. Bake 15-18 minutes, until golden on top.