Cheesy Ham and Pea Pasta
This cheesy ham and pea pasta is ready in about thirty minutes, and totally delicious!
Happy Friday! I’m so excited that we’ve made it to the Friday before Thanksgiving! My kids have the whole week off school next week, and we will be spending the week at the Oregon coast in a cute little cottage. It will be so much fun to relax, play games, watch Christmas movies, and have a ton of uninterrupted family time! I’ve been pretty busy over the last week trying to get everything ready for our trip, so I’ve been sticking with some of my favorite go-to meals on our menu this week. This cheesy ham and pea pasta is one of my kids’ most requested meals. It’s super simple and quick to make, uses ingredients I always have on hand, and is kid-friendly and delicious!
I usually like to use shell pasta, but this pasta will work with pretty much any shape you have on hand (penne, bowtie, macaroni, etc.). Anytime I cook a ham, I chop up the leftovers and put them in baggies in the freezer, just so I can always have ham on hand for this dish. (That’s how often we eat it!) If you don’t have ham on hand, you can definitely use chopped deli ham instead. It’s also delicious with rotisserie chicken or tuna, or even just meatless. This cheesy ham and pea pasta is a family favorite, for good reason!
Cheesy Ham and Pea PastaPrint Recipe
- 1/2 pound shell pasta or macaroni pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, stirring well so that the flour is completely incorporated. Cook 2-3 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Slowly add the milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and whisk in the cheddar and monterey jack cheeses. Add salt and pepper, taste, and adjust seasonings as needed. Stir in the ham and peas, return to the heat, and cook until the peas are heated through. Stir in the cooked pasta and serve immediately.