Chocolate Chip Brookies
These chocolate chip brookies are the perfect combination of cookies and brownies! They’re so decadent and delicious, and loaded with chocolate!
I know everyone else discovered the magical combination of cookies and brownies (also known as brookies) years ago, but I’ve always been a little hesitant to try them. I love each of the elements separately, but somehow it just seemed like the combination wouldn’t be good. Like, either the cookies would be overbaked and hard, or the brownies would have the wrong texture… somehow it seemed impossible that they would work.
Over the summer I couldn’t resist an adorable little brookie (with googly eyes, no less) from one of my favorite little bakeries, Soro Soro, and it was THE BEST. So of course I had to recreate it at home immediately (sans googly eyes). I combined my favorite brownie recipe and my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, and it turns out putting them together made each of them even more delicious!
The brownies stay nice and gooey after baking, and the cookie dough bakes through without becoming overcooked. I was skeptical that the cookie dough could stay in the oven that long without getting overbaked, but it works perfectly. The flaky sea salt on top adds a delicious extra touch.
I would recommend using a good quality chocolate for these brookies. I used a combination of Chocolove chocolate chips and Guittard dark chocolate discs, and they combined to make a rich and gooey chocolatey masterpiece. Seriously, look at that gorgeous melty chocolate!
If your sweet tooth is a little over the top like my husband’s is, you can add a scoop of ice cream and some caramel sauce on top, but honestly they’re super delicious and rich just as they are. I cut mine into sixteen pieces, and one piece was plenty for me. These will definitely be a new staple at our house!
Chocolate Chip BrookiesPrint Recipe
- for the cookie layer:
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- for the brownie layer:
- 12 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- flaky sea salt I used Maldon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325. Line an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 square pan with parchment paper. To make the cookie layer, in a medium bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix to form a soft dough. Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the brownies, in a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix until smooth. Add the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spread the brownie mixture in the prepared pan. Scoop large scoops of the cookie dough onto the top of the brownie batter, then sprinkle with the flaky sea salt. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted 1 1/2 inches from the side of the pan comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Let cool completely before slicing and serving.