These birthday cake chocolate chip cookies have such a delicious combination of flavors, and are so colorful and fun!
I’m sure you know by now that I’m pretty obsessed with chocolate chip cookies, but these birthday cake chocolate chip cookies are such a fun twist! I made them for the first time last summer when my middle daughter Lizzy had a sleepover with a few friends from school, and they were a huge hit with all of the girls. We’ve made them several times since then, and I love that they are so fun and colorful! You really can’t go wrong adding sprinkles to anything, right?
I used my tried and true chocolate chip cookie recipe for the dough, but added a little boost of extra vanilla and some white cake mix to give it that delicious birthday cake flavor. I added about 1/3 cup of sprinkles, but feel free to add more or less, according to your preferences. For these cookies, I’ve found that jimmies work best (and are easy to find in fun colors), but quins would also work well.
I used a three tablespoon-sized scoop for these cookies, but feel free to make them whatever size you like. I just love those crisp edges and gooey middles that I get from the larger cookies!
I like to just slightly underbake these cookies, so they stay very soft in the middle. You’ll want to pull them out of the oven when the edges are just starting to get golden. They’ll flatten slightly as they cool, but will still end up pretty thick and rounded.
These cookies have the best flavor, and are perfectly sweetened. They’re the perfect way to brighten someone’s day, even if it’s your own!
Birthday Cake Chocolate Chip CookiesPrint Recipe
- 12 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons white cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract, and mix until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix to form a soft dough. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and sprinkles. Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet using a large cookie scoop (I used this 3 tablespoon scoop). Bake 12-13 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges.