These cheesy spinach stuffed chicken breasts are so tender and juicy, with the most delicious combination of flavors!
I always thought I was a pretty good cook when I was growing up, but after I got married I realized my knowledge of main dishes was pretty limited. I could cook simple things like spaghetti or french toast, or put together a meal kit, but beyond that I was pretty inexperienced. During my first few years of married life, I learned how to cook all sorts of things. I developed a bunch of recipes that are still tried and true favorites to this day. These cheesy spinach stuffed chicken breasts are one of the first recipes I developed, and they have still held up after all of these years!
They are simple and quick to make, but still fancy enough to serve for company or a special dinner. The filling is so cheesy and delicious, and complements the chicken perfectly!
Unlike a lot of stuffed chicken breast recipes that require you to pound the chicken flat, I love that this recipe has you cut the chicken breasts into fillets that are easy to stuff. I’m all about less effort! I’ve found that brushing the chicken breasts with olive oil helps the bread crumbs to stick to them. If you prefer, you could dip them in a beaten egg instead. I used a mixture of panko and regular bread crumbs, and I love how crispy and delicious they get in the oven as the chicken bakes.
I like to serve these chicken breasts with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables on the side. They would also be great with rice or noodles. The leftovers are delicious too (although the chicken won’t be quite as crispy). Because this recipe makes more than my family can eat, I usually package the rest up for my husband’s lunches for the rest of the week. These cheesy spinach stuffed chicken breasts are such an easy and delicious main dish!
Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken BreastsPrint Recipe
for the filling:
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large chicken breasts sliced in half horizontally to form 8 fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375. Add the spinach and water to a large skillet over medium heat. Cover and cook 3-5 minutes, until the spinach is wilted. Drain and squeeze the excess water out of the spinach with a dish towel. Chop and let cool. In a medium bowl, stir together the spinach, cream cheese, garlic powder, mozarella, parmesan, and salt. Scoop 1/8 of the filling onto 1/2 of each chicken breast, then fold the top over to encase the filling.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the bread crumbs, panko, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Brush the chicken with the olive oil, then roll in the bread crumbs to coat the outside of the chicken. Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish or on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and cooked through.