The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
These are hands down the BEST chocolate chip cookies! These cookies are crisp around the edges, gooey in the middle, and completely delicious!
As a recovering perfectionist, sometimes it’s hard for me to accept that I will never be perfect at everything I do. In fact, with most of things I do, I am actually quite imperfect. 🙂 However, there are a handful of things I do that are pretty darn close to perfect, and making chocolate chip cookies is one of them! (My handwriting is another, and my homemade sandwich bread rounds out the list nicely.) Instead of being sad that I can’t do everything perfectly, I’m going to choose to be glad that I have the most delicious cookies in my life and try to forget about the rest.
These chocolate chip cookies have featured prominently in so many areas of my life! They are how I make new friends and get to know my neighbors, and how I cheer up my kids when they are having a bad day. They are what I bring to new moms, or family members recovering from surgery. They’re on the table at every extended family gathering, and I am known far and wide for them. When I was in nursing school and lived on campus, I would come home on my lunch break, whip up a batch of cookies in about 30 minutes, and bring a plate of warm cookies back to school with me to share with my classmates. (Yes, I’m aware of how weird that is! But also, I was totally stressed out by school and needed cookies desperately. And frequently.)
When my daughter Bee was diagnosed with hip dysplasia last year, I decided that I wanted to do something to give back to the hospital where she was treated, and I ended up selling dozens of containers of cookie dough to raise money for them. These chocolate chip cookies were by far the most popular flavor. They are just that good!
I’m very picky about my chocolate chip cookies, and this recipe is perfection to me. They have the absolute best texture, and the classic chocolate chip cookie flavor. The edges get crisp, while the insides stay thick and rich and luscious. I’ve made them with pretty much any kind of chocolate chips, chopped chocolate, and mix-ins you can imagine, and I love that they are completely adaptable and turn out perfectly every time! This cookie dough also freezes really well (I have a great tutorial for freezing cookie dough here if you need it). I nearly always have chocolate chip cookie dough in my freezer, and it is a staple at my house!
I love to make these cookies with chopped Guittard chocolate discs when I have them on hand, but they really are delicious with any chocolate chips. For these pictures, I used a combination of Nestle chocolate chips and Trader Joe’s mini peanut butter cups, and they were absolutely fantastic. You really can’t go wrong with these cookies!
Chocolate Chip CookiesPrint Recipe
- 12 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or any combination of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract, and mix until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix to form a soft dough. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet using a large cookie scoop (I like to use a 3 tablespoon scoop). Bake 12-13 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges but still just slightly underbaked. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
These sound so wonderful! Thanks for sharing!