Baked Ham and Cheese Tortellini
This deliciously cheesy baked ham and cheese tortellini comes together quickly, and is so easy to make! It’s a cozy comfort food meal!
Who else loves a good casserole? I wouldn’t say we eat a ton of casseroles at my house, but I suppose that being raised in a large family does tend to predispose people to be casserole eaters. 🙂 I’m the second of five kids, and my mom relied on casseroles pretty regularly to make our food dollars stretch a little further and keep all of those little tummies full. I remember my mom making a lot of “goulash” (which in my family was macaroni noodles with crumbled ground turkey and tomato sauce), and lots of ham and cheese pasta. (And of course, being raised in Utah, we ate plenty of cheesy potato casserole, aka funeral potatoes, too!)
Since I had my own kids, I’ve started making my own versions of some of my mom’s recipes. My kids love them just as much as I did when I was growing up. There’s something just totally comforting about a good casserole! This baked ham and cheese tortellini is a cozy comfort food meal that’s easy to make, inexpensive, and great for feeding a crowd. It’s one of those easy meals that I love having in my back pocket for days when I don’t feel like cooking. I nearly always have tortellini and frozen chopped ham in the freezer, so this casserole is simple and quick to whip up!
This recipe makes enough to feed my family for two meals, or to send leftovers to work with my husband for a few work lunches. It’s one of those meals that is pretty low effort and high reward, which is exactly what I’m looking for on a busy (or lazy) night. With tender noodles, creamy sauce, and buttery crisp breadcrumbs on top, this baked tortellini is a definite crowd-pleaser!
Baked Ham and Cheese TortelliniPrint Recipe
for the pasta:
- 1 20-ounce package frozen cheese tortellini
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
for the topping:
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 3/4 cup finely crushed Ritz crackers
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the tortellini according to the package directions. While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, stirring well so that the flour is completely incorporated. Cook 2-3 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Slowly add the milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and whisk in the cheddar and monterey jack cheeses. Add the salt and pepper, taste, and adjust seasonings as needed. Stir in the ham and cooked tortellini, the pour the pasta mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish. To make the topping, mix the melted butter and Ritz crackers together. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the pasta, then sprinkle the cracker mixture evenly over the top. Bake 25-30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the cracker crumbs are browned.