Fudgy Caramel Brownies
These decadent and fudgy caramel brownies are over-the-top delicious, and easy to make! They’re a chocolate lover’s dream!
You can never have too many good brownie recipes, right? I’ve made a lot of brownies in my day, but this recipe for fudgy caramel brownies is consistently a family favorite! I’ve been making them regularly for over ten years now, and they never disappoint. These brownies come out so rich, gooey, and decadent, with the perfect combination of caramel and chocolate flavor. They’re so indulgent that a small piece is plenty, but so delicious that you’ll be craving them all the time!
I’m definitely much more of a fan of rich and fudgy brownies than caky brownies, and these brownies are absolute texture perfection. The top of the brownies gets crackly and delicious as they bake, but the inside stays super moist and luscious. The caramel layer running through the middle makes them even more decadent. To make things easy, I usually use Kraft caramel bits melted with a little cream, but you can definitely use homemade caramel if you would prefer, or even a jarred caramel sauce. (You definitely want to use a thicker sauce, not like a runny caramel ice cream topping. You’ll want to warm the caramel up so that it’s easy to pour and spread over the brownie layer, but you’ll need to use a caramel that will set up as the brownies cool, instead of staying liquid.) I’ve also used Peter’s Caramel for these brownies and had great results.
If your family loves chocolate like mine does, you will definitely want to give these delicious and rich caramel brownies a try!
Fudgy Caramel BrowniesPrint Recipe
for the brownies:
- 1 cup butter
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate I used chocolate chips
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 extra-large eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
for the caramel filling:
- 1 11 ounce bag Kraft caramel bits
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 13 x 9 inch pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in chocolate chips, and melt, stirring frequently. When there are no more lumps, remove from heat and stir in sugar and vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, and mix until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Fold in cocoa powder, salt, and flour, and mix until barely combined. Pour half the brownie mixture into the prepared pan and bake 20 minutes.
- While the brownies are baking, prepare the filling by mixing the caramel bits and whipping cream in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is smooth. After twenty minutes, remove the brownies from the oven and pour the caramel mixture over the top, spreading to cover the brownies evenly. Sprinkle remaining one cup of chocolate chips over the top. Pour the remaining brownie mixture on top, spreading to cover the caramel/chocolate chip layer. Return to oven and bake 30 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from pan and slicing.