This savory plum sauce is so easy to make and complements the flavors of so many dishes! It’s a take-out favorite you can make at home!
As I mentioned before, my husband and I have gotten really into making our own fried wontons lately. They are so delicious and fun to make, and taste even better than the wontons from our favorite restaurant. It has become a fun family activity to assemble wontons together, and my kids enjoy them just as much as my husband and I do. We absolutely love our crab and cheese wonton recipe, but we’ve also branched out and tried some other fillings like chicken and vegetables. And since every appetizer needs a good dipping sauce to go with it, this savory plum sauce is an absolute must!
Our favorite take-out wontons come with a little container of plum sauce, and it is so flavorful and delicious. I was really excited to come up with my own recipe so we can enjoy it with our homemade wontons! This savory plum sauce is surprisingly simple to make, and it complements the flavors of the wontons perfectly. I love the balance of savory and sweet flavors, and it makes a big enough batch that I can stock the pantry with it and pull it out as needed. This sauce is the perfect complement to egg rolls, wontons, chicken wings, coconut shrimp… you name it!
Savory Plum SaucePrint Recipe
- 1 pound fresh plums chopped
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Add the plums, brown sugar, and vinegar to a heavy pot over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then add the salt, onion, garlic, soy sauce, allspice, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir well and return the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat and blend using an immersion blender or regular blender (with the center of the lid removed to allow steam to escape).
- To process for canning, ladle the plum sauce into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add lids and bands. Process in a water bath canner for 15 minutes.