Chicken Fajita Soup + 23 Comforting Soup Recipes
This savory and flavorful chicken fajita soup is so easy to make and totally delicious!
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I am totally in love with soup! I would probably eat it every night for dinner if my family would allow it. Brothy soups, creamy soups, thick chowders, savory broths, I love them all. Soup is totally my comfort food! Since January is National Soup Month, I’m excited to share my new favorite soup with you today. This chicken fajita soup is so incredibly flavorful and delicious, and the perfect hearty soup for a cold night. I made it last week when we had friends over for dinner, and it was a hit with everyone!
The fajita seasoning gives the soup such an amazing flavor, and it’s incredibly delicious in combination with the tender chicken, black beans, tomatoes, peppers and brown rice. It’s not strictly necessary to top the soup with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips, but… well, it kind of is necessary. Because the toppings are what makes it so tasty! I served the soup with some hot and fresh homemade tortillas on the side, and it they were amazing together. This soup is seriously delicious!
Chicken Fajita SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 fajita seasoning packet
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- for topping: cheese sour cream, tortilla strips, etc.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, then add the red pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened and fragrant. Add the black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, fajita seasoning packet, and 1 teaspoon salt, and stir to combine. Add the whole chicken breasts to the pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer twenty minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred, then return to the pot. Stir in the brown rice and cook until heated through. Serve hot topped with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips.
For more delicious soup recipes, be sure to check out these posts from my Celebrating Food blogging friends!
White Chicken Chili from Ashlee Marie
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup from Creations by Kara
Slow Cooker Beef Enchilada Chili from Real Mom Kitchen
Instant Pot Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
Instant Pot Italian Chicken Soup from Supergolden Bakes
Vegan Pinto Bean Soup from Namely Marly
And don’t miss these fabulous soup recipes from The Baker Upstairs:
Cheesy Sausage and Potato Chowder
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
I can't wait to try this, it looks so yummy! I'm with you, the toppings are a must. 🙂