Everything Bagel Pigs in a Blanket
These everything bagel pigs in a blanket are so adorable, and so tasty too! They’re perfect for snacking, game day, or school lunch!
Who else is in total disbelief that this year is over? 2020 has been the strangest, loneliest, hardest, most unexpected year of my life (and I assume a lot of peoples’ lives). I’ve had some highs (like welcoming our new baby) and some lows (like unrelenting nausea and vomiting for my entire pregnancy). Wading through the pandemic while pregnant with a frontline healthcare worker husband has been challenging, to say the least. I’m trying to stay optimistic about 2021, if for no other reason than I won’t be pregnant on top of everything else. My husband got his first dose of the covid vaccine this week, and that alone is reason enough to think that things will get better in 2021. Here’s hoping!
One of our family’s favorite New Year’s Eve traditions is having a variety of appetizers for dinner instead of a traditional meal. Some of our top favorites are this easy bacon cheddar cheeseball, this buffalo chicken dip, and these crispy baked buffalo wings. I have a list of fifteen amazing appetizers that you can check out here, and these everything bagel pigs in a blanket are a new twist on my favorite mini pretzel dogs from that list. It’s amazing how you can add everything bagel seasoning to pretty much anything savory and make it even more delicious!
My kids love to help make these, and they are great at rolling the little sausages up in the dough. The dough is quick to mix up, and although the rolling can be a little tedious, it goes pretty quickly with some little helpers. These pigs in a blanket are so simple to make, and totally delicious!
Everything Bagel Pigs in a BlanketPrint Recipe
for the dough:
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
for the pigs in a blanket:
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 package Lil’ Smokies sausages
- 1 large egg yolk + 1 tablespoon water whisked together
- 1/4 cup everything bagel seasoning
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the warm water and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and let stand five minutes, until foamy. Add the flour, salt, and butter, and mix until combined. Knead 5-10 minutes, until smooth and pliable. Form the dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner, and spray with cooking spray. Heat the water and baking soda to boiling. While waiting for the water to boil, gently punch down the dough and divide it into 3 equal-sized balls. Roll each ball out into a circle that is approximately 12 inches in diameter. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut each circle into twelve wedges. Place a sausage at the wide end of each wedge, and roll the dough around it, pressing with your fingers to seal the end. Place the wrapped dogs a few at a time into the boiling water for 30-60 seconds, then remove to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of each dog with the egg wash, then sprinkle with the everything bagel seasoning. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and let cool slightly before serving.