These Halloween M&M cookie bars are so colorful and fun, and so easy to make. They’re a totally delicious Halloween treat!
The weather is still in the 80s around here, but I’m not letting that stop me from doing some Halloween baking! I’ve mostly been doing online shopping since the pandemic started, but I needed to return something to Target this week and ended up strolling up and down all of the Halloween aisles and enjoying all of the festive treats and decor (and adding way too much of it to my cart). My family goes all out for Halloween, decking the house from top to bottom, and we love making festive food too! These Halloween M&M cookie bars are such a fun and sweet Halloween treat, and I love that they are so easy to make. They’re delightfully colorful and festive, and fun for both kids and adults.
I love using holiday M&Ms for baking, because they are so fun and colorful! To boost the chocolate flavor even more, I also added some Guittard semi-sweet chocolate chips. They are my new favorite to use for baking, and I love that they get so luscious and melty in the oven. They have such a fantastic taste and texture!
To make these cookie bars extra cute (and a little more indulgent!), I added some Reese’s pumpkins on top right after baking. They melt just slightly into the warm cookies and then stay put after they’ve cooled. The combination of peanut butter, chocolate, and sweet and tender cookie is absolutely delicious!
I cut my cookie bars into twelve giant pieces, but if you want more reasonably-sized servings, you could probably get 20-24 cookies from the batch. They will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for 2-3 days, so you can definitely make them ahead of time if you need to for a party or event. These Halloween M&M cookie bars are so fun and so delicious!
Halloween M&M Cookie BarsPrint Recipe
- 12 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cup Halloween M&M candies divided
- 12 Reese’s pumpkin candies
- Preheat the oven to 350. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, and mix until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix to form a soft dough. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and 1 cup of the M&M’s using a spatula.
- Press the dough into an even layer in a parchment or foil lined 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining M&M’s over the top of the dough. Bake 22-25 minutes, or the bars are light golden brown and a toothpick inserted two inches from the side of the pan comes out clean. Let cool five minutes, then press the Reese’s pumpkins into the top of the bars. Let cool completely before slicing and serving.