These giant homemade nutter butter cookies are better than store-bought, and so easy to make!
When it’s Peanut Butter Lovers Day, there’s nothing for it but to bake up some peanut buttery goodness! I was never a big fan of peanut butter growing up, and ate it pretty rarely, but that all changed when I married my husband. He is totally OBSESSED with peanut butter and eats it by the spoonful. After years of him buying peanut butter treats on every possible occasion, it has definitely grown on me. It’s still not usually my first choice, but I can definitely appreciate a good peanut butter dessert. One of my husband’s favorite treats is Nutter Butter cookies, so I thought it would be fun to surprise him with a homemade version after a hard day at work. These giant homemade Nutter Butter cookies turned out so delicious! They’re similar to the store-bought version, but infinitely better because they’re homemade!
I started with my favorite, never-fail peanut butter cookie recipe, then added a delicious light and fluffy peanut butter frosting in between the cookies to make sandwiches. Shaping the cookies was easier than I thought it would be. I just rolled the cookies into ovals, pinched them in the middle, and then made a criss-cross on the top and bottom with a fork. Be warned that the cookies do spread quite a bit as they bake, so try not to overcrowd them on the baking sheet. (Mine actually ended up a little too close together.)
Everyone in my family totally loved these cookies! My kids had them as an after school snack and pronounced me “the best Mommy ever!” and my husband had all the heart eyes for these cookies when he got home from work. I ended up with 13 giant sandwich cookies, and they were all gone within about 24 hours. The cookies are rich and buttery, crisp on the outside, and chewy on the inside. The frosting in between is so light and fluffy, and adds the perfect sweet touch. These cookies are totally delicious!
Giant Homemade Nutter Butter CookiesPrint Recipe
for the cookies:
- 1/2 cup 4 ounces butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
for the filling:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon half and half more as needed
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line two baking sheets with silicone or parchment. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, brown sugar, and peanut butter, until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Stir in the flour, baking soda, and salt, to form a thick dough. Scoop the dough into one inch balls and roll each ball into an oval shape, then pinch the middle of each oval to make a peanut shape. Make a criss-cross on top of each half of the cookie with a fork, flattening slightly. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until the bottoms are light golden brown.
- To make the filling, beat the butter and peanut butter together until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and beat on medium speed. Pour in the half and half, until the mixture starts to come together. Increase the speed to high and beat until light and fluffy. Spread the frosting between two cookies to make a cookie sandwich.
For more delicious peanut butter recipes, perfect for celebrating Peanut Butter Lover’s Day, check out these fantastic posts from my Celebrating Food blogging friends:
Peanut Butter Lovers Pancakes from Crumb
Triple Peanut Butter Cake from Ashlee Marie
Peanut Butter Butterfinger Cookies from Creations by Kara
Reese’s Peanut Butter Bars from Pretty Providence
Peanut Butter Pie from Simply Stacie
Creamy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie from An Italian in my Kitchen
Easy Peanut Butter Fudge from Savory Experiments
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
No Bake Peanut Butter Protein Balls from Heather Likes Food
Easy Peanut Butter Granola from Real Mom Kitchen
Peanut Butter Doughnuts with Chunky Peanut Butter Glaze from Premeditated Leftovers
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies from Namely Marly
Peanut Butter Twix Pie from My Mommy Style
Instant Pot Peanut Butter Caramel Cheesecake from Super Golden Bakes
and even more fantastic peanut butter recipes from The Baker Upstairs: