Making your favorite restaurant soup at home is easy and delicious with this Panera-copycat broccoli cheddar soup!
That’s right, it’s another delicious soup recipe! It has been so cold around here lately that we’ve been having soup for dinner a few nights a week. I’ve been using up my giant stash of soup in the freezer, and picking up fresh bread from a bakery that we discovered recently and can’t get enough of. (And if I pick up a brownie or a macaron while I’m there, and eat it in the car on the way home, who’s the wiser?) This Panera-copycat broccoli cheddar soup is one of our favorite soups, and it’s equally delicious freshly cooked or reheated from the freezer. It’s one that I make sure to always have on hand, because my kids will always eat it, no matter how picky they are feeling at the moment. It’s the best!
This soup also tastes fantastic with the homemade bread bowls I posted a few weeks ago. I know they’re totally 80’s chic, but there’s nothing better than a bowl of hot soup in a bread bowl. If you love broccoli and cheese as much as I do, this soup is a must-make!
Panera-Copycat Broccoli Cheddar SoupPrint Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus more for sprinkling
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic, and sautee until softened and fragrant. Slowly add the cream, milk, and chicken stock, and stir well. Add the corn starch to a bowl and add enough water to cover. Whisk with a fork until the corn starch is dissolved and the mixture is smooth, then add it to the pot. Add the nutmeg and cook until slightly thickened. Stir in the carrot and broccoli and simmer until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Add 1 teaspoon salt, taste, and add more as needed. Serve warm sprinkled with additional cheese.