Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
These creamy and savory green chili chicken enchiladas are so delicious and full of flavor, and so easy to make!
What are your go-to recipes for when you have guests over for dinner? These days I generally seem to make either our favorite carnitas with homemade tortillas, or homemade pizza. For years and years though (especially when our budget was a little tighter), I always made enchiladas whenever we had guests for dinner, and they were a universal favorite. They’re easy to make, they’re melty and cheesy, and everyone loves them! I love that there are so many options for fillings, sauces, and cheeses, so they’re easy to make with whatever I happen to have on hand. These green chili chicken enchiladas are some of my favorites, and they are probably the enchiladas I make most often.
The filling for these enchiladas is super delicious, with chicken, spinach, green chilies, white beans, and cream cheese. I love that it has so many different flavors mixed together! I prefer these enchiladas with corn tortillas, but you can make them with flour tortillas instead if you like. The semi-homemade green enchilada sauce is so creamy and delicious, and is perfect with a layer of melted cheese on top. I like to serve these enchiladas with a little sour cream and salsa on top, with my favorite Mexican rice on the side. They’re a family-friendly dinner that’s easy to make but still tastes fancy!
Creamy Green Chili Chicken EnchiladasPrint Recipe
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken I used rotisserie
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 ounces green chilies
- 1 can white beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can 14 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese jack, cheddar, colby, etc.
- 12 corn tortillas warmed and softened
- Preheat oven to 375. In a large skillet, heat a few tablespoons of water. Add the spinach, cover, and let steam until spinach has wilted (about 3-5 minutes). Remove from heat, drain, and chop. In a medium bowl, mix together chicken, cream cheese, green chilies, spinach, and white beans. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook until softened. Whisk in the flour until a paste forms, and cook 2-3 minutes. Add chicken broth and milk, and whisk quickly to incorporate the flour mixture. Let cook a few minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened, then remove from heat. Whisk in the enchilada sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, spread a few spoonfuls of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Fill each tortilla with about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish. When all enchiladas have been rolled, top with remaining enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Bake 20-30 minutes or the cheese is melted, and the sauce is bubbling around the edges.