These cheesy broccoli potato bowls are a delicious meatless meal that’s easy to make and perfect for a busy weeknight!
Who else loves a good thirty minute meal? Life is so busy these days that I rarely spend more than thirty minutes of hands-on time cooking dinner at night. When dinner time rolls around, I’m tired and hungry and just want my food now! I really love meals like these cheesy broccoli potato bowls that are delicious, filling, kid-friendly, budget-friendly, and easy to make. They’re sort of like a riff on a broccoli cheese baked potato, but with extra delicious flavor and texture from using roasted red potatoes instead of baked russet potatoes. They are so good!
If you haven’t made your own homemade cheese sauce before, be prepared to have your life changed! It’s way easier than you might think to make, and it tastes so good you’ll want to eat it with a spoon. You can drizzle this cheese sauce over just about anything and it will make it extra delicious! These potato bowls are simple and delicious, and my kids will always eat them without complaining. They’re perfect for those nights between grocery trips when I don’t have much in the house, but still want a filling and reasonably healthy meal. The recipe below will serve 4-6, depending on how big your appetites are, and the leftovers actually taste great too. I usually make these bowls for dinner one night, then package up the two extra portions for my husband to take to work later in the week. They are one of our favorite simple meals!
Cheesy Broccoli Potato BowlsPrint Recipe
- 6 medium red potatoes cut into one inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups broccoli chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- sour cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400. Toss the potatoes with the olive oil on a sheet pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook the potatoes in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, tossing halfway through. Test with a fork for doneness, and cook for an additional 5 minutes if needed.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking time, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook 2-3 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling. Slowly whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese and the salt and pepper.
- Add the broccoli and water to a medium skillet over medium heat. Cover and steam 3-4 minutes, until bright green and tender. To assemble the bowls, layer crispy roasted potatoes in the bottom of the bowl, then top with steamed broccoli. Drizzle the homemade cheese sauce over the top, and finish with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with grated cheese.